Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Book Review: World After by Susan Ee-- Where's all the Rafe?!

Check out my review of the first book in the Penryn and the End of Days Series here!

It's the age old trope: The second book in a series brings a heart wrenching separation of the the main couple, causing many sad feels and much angst.

It's not a bad trope. I myself have used this trope in my own writing. It's useful and an excellent way to humanize a couple that might seem too good to be true and a means of stirring emotion in your reader.

But can I just say... Rafe was gone for SO LONG!

Like I get that it was necessary. Penryn needed to go out and be her bad ass self on her own for a while. But I missed Rafe. I was on edge the whole time he was gone, thinking, "He's coming back in the next chapter right? RIGHT?!"

I was a mess.

Which, honestly, is kind of awesome. Susan Ee had me feeling Penryn's emotions, she had me on edge and nervous and sad but still determined. Ms. Ee has a true talent for capturing her audience and RUINING them with all the feels.

World After, the sequel to the incredible Angelfall, was everything I hoped it would be. Engrossing, disturbing, heart-pitter-patter inducing. It was an amazing and worthy sequel to a book that I truly hold VERY close to my heart.

Rafe and Penryn's reunion... I teared up. I really did. It was so beautiful and heart breaking. The writing was... gorgeous.

The scenes in Alcatraz... I don't even have words. Some of the most terrifying writing I've ever read. So impressed with this book.

And as always the action scenes are spot on and honestly have me green with envy. I wish I could write action sequences and beautifully and realistically as Susan Ee.

The characters were strong. I loved getting glimpses of Paige's kidnapping. It made me sympathize so much more with an already sympathetic character. The mother was just as terrifying and awesome as in the last book. And Dee-Dum were just as hilarious.

If I have anything to say, it would be that I honestly didn't care for the first little bit of the book. The scenes with the rebellion were often slowly paced and boring. I had a hard time imagining what was being described and an even harder time caring. They just didn't feel as thought out as the rest of the book.

Anyway. Susan Ee, you're a life ruiner. PLEASE give me book three! I NEED TO KNOW!! I love you.

All around I'd have to say I loved it just as much as the first book. 4.5/5 stars.

Check out World After by Susan Ee. It's sooo beautiful. And while you're doing that, check out my book, The Reviled, which is on sale right now for 99¢ (shameless self promotion)!

Follow me on other social media!
My Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment