Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Series Review: The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth-- Worth the frustration


So in honor of the movie (which hits theaters March 21! PREPARE FOR THE FEELS!), I thought I'd share my thoughts and a review of a series that I have a massive love/hate relationship with.

The Divergent Trilogy is a dystopian YA novel set in a future Chicago, where the residents have been separated into factions that correspond with jobs, personality types, and skills. There are Abnegation, the Selfless; Candor, the Honest; Amity, the Peaceful; and Dauntless, the Brave. The story follows Tris, a young Abnegation girl who must decide which faction she belongs in. She can continue living a lie and stay with her family, or she can leave.

That's the simplified version anyway. This series honestly has sooo many ins and outs and subplots and facets. It's really very well thought out and intriguing.

The first book, Divergent is probably my favorite of the set, primarily for the action. I whipped through the first one. I went into is uncertain. I have a large distrust for books that are super hyped up and this is a big favorite for many many people. But I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I read it and enjoyed it.

I admit I found Tris, the main character, somewhat irritating at times. But the side characters definitely made up for her occasionally stupid choices and opinions. And despite the flaws in Tris characters for me, Veronica Roth's writing was so beautiful and interesting that I enjoyed it anyway.

The second book... Ugh. I just... I can't.

I despised it. I considered giving up on the series after finishing Insurgent. I was so frustrated. With the characters, with the plot, with Veronica Roth. I just hated it. Characters seemed to be introduced for the sole purpose of killing them off. It felt like a lot of cheap shots. It was almost like a poorly thrown together jumble of ideas. I found Tris far more irritating. The side characters were no longer worth it to me. Tobias (the main love interest) was kind of a jackass. I was just so FRUSTRATED.

One redeeming quality I have to say though, is the cliffhanger at the end was basically what made me pick up Allegiant. I probably wouldn't have if the cliffhanger hadn't made me curious.

Now for the last book. I know there is a lot of dissension over this book. Without giving too much away, there is a big, EMOTIONAL event at the end of the book that upset MANY people. On top of that many felt the books was a lot slower paced, they were frustrated with the change in the POV, and--from what I can tell--many many people found Allegiant to be their least favorite of the series.

For me, it's a pretty close second favorite. If it had had a little bit more action and better pacing I might have enjoyed it more than Divergent. But other than that I really enjoyed most of Veronica Roth's choices with this story, particularly everything she did with the ending.

I sobbed. I have not cried this hard over a fantasy/science fiction novel since Half Blood Prince. But I had to put Allegiant down more than once. I just couldn't control the feels, there were so many.

Tris was the strongest her character has been in the entire series. She was my absolute favorite throughout it. So much growth and strength and bravery. At the beginning of the series Veronica told us Tris was supposed to be selfless AND brave AND intelligent. But it wasn't until Allegiant that she really SHOWED us.

Everything about this ending was elegant and beautiful and emotional. It is a truly memorable and stirring ending. It makes all the frustration I felt throughout the second book so very worth it.

All around I'd have to give Divergent 4.5/5 stars; Insurgent 3/5 stars; and Allegiant 4/5 stars.

Check out The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth (Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant). It'll make you want to throw the book across the room, but it'll be oh so worth it. And while you're searching for books, check out my book, The Reviled, which is on sale right now for 99¢! (Shameless self promotion, I don't even curr, ok?)

Follow me on other social media!
My Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment