Sunday, April 6, 2014

Series Review: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (Books 1-3)-- These are definitely the droids you're looking for



So I have a confession to make. And maybe you'll judge me. I don't care.

I... love... fairytale retellings!

The obscene amount of fairytale retelling I've read, not to mention the inappropriate amount of original fairytales I've OBSESSIVELY researched is mildly embarrassing. I have a serious disorder when it comes to the works of the Grimm brothers, Perrault, and Hans Christian Anderson.

A far less embarrassing confession, is the love I hold very close to my heart for all things science fiction. My father raised me on sci-fi movies (as any good father should) and I've never read a science fiction novel I didn't enjoy (yet).

Why this tangent you might ask?

Because of the greatest things that has probably ever happened to me or ANYONE.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. The word "perfection" does not do it justice.

These books are, in a nutshell, sci-fi/fantasy retellings of classic fairytales. Cinder follows a cyborg Cinderella character, Scarlet follows Red Riding Hood falling for her wolf, and Cress follows Rapunzel whose figurative tower is a satellite orbiting Earth. And all of these characters lives intertwine and affect one another as they fight to protect earth from the literal Evil Queen. The last book, Winter (Snow White has gone absolutely bonkers) is set to come out early 2015, but I figured I ought to share my thoughts while they're fresh.

We'll start with the first book, Cinder.

I went into this series incredibly wary. I mean, I love science fiction, but this seemed... so out there. WAY out there. In like, outerspace.

I've never been happier to be wrong.

Cinder, as a character is such a badass. She is far from a damsel in distress. And while she has a love story interwoven into the tail, it's not the only focus. This book has meat. Beautiful, tasty, substantial, AWESOME meat.

If you're uncertain about this book series, I suggest reading the first five chapters on your eReader. It's free and it'll help you realize just how amazing this weird concept can be.

There were times when the book could be slow, but it made up for it with every single one of its action scenes. I particularly enjoyed all the nods the story made to the original fairytale. (SPOILERS: I mean she didn't just lose her slipper. She lost her WHOLE GODDAMN FOOT! HOW HILARIOUS AND AWESOME AND CLEVER IS THAT SHIT?!)

On to book two, Scarlet.

Starting Scarlet I was again, uncertain. I wasn't sure I'd like it as much as Cinder and I feared it would fall victim to "Second Book Syndrome".

How very wrong I was. Scarlet's tale--involving attempting to find her missing grandmother with a mysterious companion by the name of Wolf in tow--intertwines beautifully with Cinder as she continues her attempts to protect all that she holds dear.

I can't go into too much detail because of spoilers, but I will tell you that Scarlet manages to be even better than Cinder.

The characters introduced in this book are probably my favorite of all of them. The story felt so deep and interesting and it kept me guessing till the end.

Last of all we have book three, Cress.

I can honestly say that the only thing I found disappointing in this book was the fact that the title didn't seem to follow to pattern as smoothly as the others do (Cinder for Cinderella, Scarlet for Red Riding Hood, and Winter for Snow White).

But other than that I have nothing bad to say about the latest installment in the series. I enjoyed the setting, the characters (SPOILERS: CRESS AND THORNE, oh my god, otp. OTP FOREVER. They will never stop being my otp. I love you babies.), the love story, the concepts, the gentle nods to the original tale, the additional, interwoven story of Cinder, Kai, Scarlet, and Wolf. Even the cover is probably my favorite of the lot.

I think it's probably safe to say that the Lunar Chronicles is an exciting, unique, intriguing, beautiful series that you will honestly not regret picking up. The writing is beautiful, the characters are well rounded, unique, and intriguing, and the all around worth a little uncertainty when you first pick it up.

All around I give all three of The Lunar Chronicles books 5/5 stars for pulling me out of a reading rut and hitting all the right notes.

Check out Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress by Marissa Meyer for yourself, and add Winter to your 2015 must read list. And while you're doing that, check out my book, The Reviled, which is on sale right now for 99¢ (shameless self promotion)!


Follow me on other social media!
Facebook
My Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment