Thursday, April 10, 2014

Book Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern-- Prepare to be dazzled to the point of blindness

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night. 
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

------
A circus of black and white with the occasional secret touches of red. A fantastical competition between two starry eyed prodigies. Magic disguised as trickery. Piles and piles of amazing characters. And of course a beautiful love story.

Honestly, how could I possibly ask for more out of a book?

I picked up this book for a couple of reasons. Various booktubers were absolutely raving about it, friends were recommending it, and the reviews were spectacular. My local librarian and I also had a very long (and awesome) conversation about our favorite books in which I recommended A Song of Ice and Fire to her and she recommended The Night Circus to me.

Then of course there's the GORGEOUS UK edition that I will absolutely own very soon.

What struck me at first was the uniqueness of this book. Every single facet of this novel is totally and completely unique and unlike anything I've read before. The Night Circus utilizes the occasional use of second person, making it feel as if you are truly involved in the circus itself. Primarily it is written in third person, present tense and switches between the perspectives of multiple characters. Along with that there are two different time lines that eventually catch up to one another and meld beautifully.

With all of that, one might think the book would be confusing and disjointed. However reading it and getting immersed in this book is so smooth and easy it's almost like reading velvet.

The chapters are short with a very cinematic feel to them that it makes things move quickly, even during the slower, world building sections in the beginning. But despite the short chapters, Morgenstern's writing is so beautifully and subtly descriptive, it leaves lingering and breathtaking images in ones mind.

Adding to that, there are so very many realistic and well rounded characters to be found in this book. Even side characters and background characters feel like real people. I was convinced The Night Circus actually happened by the end because the character development felt so incredibly real.  Each character seems to have their own distinct personality and what feels like a very in depth back story which is fantastically impressive. Characters I didn't think I liked, became instant favorites within a mere chapter. The characters make me cry, they made me laugh, and they gave me such overwhelming joy.

But all in all, finding the words to correctly and thoroughly describe how this book impacted me is close to impossible. So I'll leave it up to Miss Morgenstern instead: "You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose."

Erin Morgenstern managed to do just that with this piece of artwork in the form of a novel. It has taken hold of me and will not let go.

I give this book not only 5/5 stars but also a longstanding recommendation. If you read only one book in your life, make it The Night Circus. It is now one of my absolute favorite standalone novels and I promise that it will change you in all the best ways. 

If you're looking for a breathtakingly magical experience, check out The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. And while you're doing that, check out my book, The Reviled, which is on sale right now for 99¢ (shameless self promotion)! It's about superheroes, zombies, and the Grim Reaper.

Follow me on other social media!
Facebook
My Shop 

No comments:

Post a Comment